…call me maybe

On this holiday and inauguration Monday we take a moment to remember Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., one of the greatest leader of the civil rights movement,and also to look ahead as our country moves forward.

Dr. King dreamed of a world where no man (or woman) would be judged by anything other than the content of their own character. So, it is with that thought in mind that today I bring you the harrowing conclusion of my weekend without a phone:

Part 2 (Part 2 requires the context provided by its predecessor. If you missed Part 1, read it here: Previously on Stephanie’s misadventures in technology… ):

After recovering from the initial tick to reach into my pocket and tweet every time something even remotely intriguing happened. Curiously, this habit only developed after the loss of my phone. The remaining duration of the 48 hours of solitary confinement (of my phone that is) went rather smoothly.

Before I knew it, it was Sunday morning and time to assess the damage. Had my phone beaten the odds of so many of those that came before it? Had it’s brief swim in the belly of the washing machine destroyed it forever, or was it merely biding its time in its refrigerated bed of rice, waiting for me to revive it to its former (fully functioning) glory? The time had come.

It was with great anticipation and trepidation that I approached the ice box. So many scenarios flashed through my mind. It was then with mild annoyance that I shook the grains of rice from the innards of my phone. I could put it off no longer.

With dread and hope I reassembled the phone. Saying a silent prayer that it would return to me. Snapping the final piece into place, I took a moment and then held the power button.

It seemed like an eternity as I waited for that familiar m to illuminate the screen once more…then, just as I realized I had been holding my breath, it happened. My phone, thought to have been lost in a soapy, watery grave returned to me! Joy rang throughout the land (interpretation: I squealed and did laps around the apartment)!

Of course, in such circumstances it’s important to take stock of the lessons learned, so the moment I saw the hint of moisture under the screen I disassembled it again and put it back in its refrigerated rice.

Still, the warm glow that can only come from the knowledge of not having to endure the process of cell phone shopping stayed with me. That is, until I stepped outside, it is cold in the midwest.

I only hope that this tale might serve as a word of caution to others who might venture near the laundry room with their phone. It’s not worth it.

Although, I’d highly recommend relieving yourself of your phone (voluntarily) if you get the chance. Once the panic subsides, it’s quite relaxing. Plus, it gives you more time to spend with your computer and tablet.


…bi-daily smile…

One Comment Add yours

  1. OMC says:

    And the great national nightmare draws to a close…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.