…Shoot Your Eye Out
Quick, what do you want for Christmas?
If for a half second you thought, “An Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle,” well, then you understand why “A Christmas Story” had to be included in our week of Christmas movie classics.
Whether you were lucky enough to be born into a family in which this film was already a staple, or TBS’s yearly Christmas Eve and Day Marathon introduced you to this holiday classic, if you’ve seen it, it’s hard not to be a fan.
It’s not just about Christmas. It’s about growing up, and there’s something for all of us to relate to.
Whose childhood didn’t have a few leg lamps, Life Buoy soap and pink bunny suits?
And that’s not even the half of what makes this film great. It’s chock-full of comedic gems and unforgettable lines whose truth make them so memorable:
- “In the heat of battle my father wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan.”
- “Oooh fuuudge! …Only I didn’t say ‘Fudge.’ I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the ‘F-dash-dash-dash’ word!”
- “He looks like a deranged Easter Bunny.”
- “Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian.”
- “I can’t put my arms down.”
- “You’ll shoot your eye out.”
So, I guess what it comes down to is, I dare you not to love something about “A Christmas Story.” Seriously, I triple-dog-dare you.
…just for fun: